Most organizations underestimate the length of time modernization projects are going to take especially when moving to the cloud. There is a list of things they forget to consider:
- The need to support the existing applications and data while they are migrating to modern technology (cloud-based or otherwise)
- Data should form a critical part of the application – the legacy data (and its storage mechanisms) do not necessarily have the integrity that is necessary for the new application and in fact may need to be completely transformed from legacy storage to modern database platforms.
- Security implications of the migration. The legacy applications security was probably not as strong as required by modern systems, yet this aspect of “improvement” quite often gets missed when modernizing – what worked before is just carried forward to the new system or there is a heavy reliance on services provided by infrastructure such as containers.
- The user experience needs to be reviewed and redeveloped especially if moving the system to the cloud.
- Testing becomes more complex in that not only does the new application need to be tested to ensure it produces the same results as the old system but there needs to be testing to ensure any unmodernized interfaces still work and that any legacy data that is still required can be accessed as needed. Testing of new security protocols, scalability and application access (cloud, VPN etc.) are all extra testing requirements that can be underestimated.
There are, however, tools on the market that can help with these projects. There are the obvious ones such a project planning tools and test management software. Then there are platforms such as Intellisys which provide a suite of tools that covers a range of topics:
- documentation of the legacy application so it is clearly understood what the app does.
- extracts the business rules from the code so that the business can determine that what the legacy system does is what is still required by both the organization and legislative requirements.
- allows for the optimization of the business rules to deliver a set of rules that meet business needs.
- produces the modernized code based on the optimized rules and the target environment.
If you would like to discuss how to take your legacy code to a modern application or the cloudthen contact us.