The State of California Employment Development Department
Country or Region
Major Areas Served in this Study
Documentation & Migration
- COBOL/CICS/VSAM System on OS 390 with 600,000 lines of code.
- Application 2 comprising 2 sub-systems
– COBOL/CICS/VSAM Sub-System with 60,000 lines of code.
– COBOL/CICS/DB2 Sub-System on OS 390 with 265,000 lines of code.
Of the source sub-systems
- sub-system 1 was converted to J2EE/Oracle
- sub-system 2 was converted to C#.Net/SQL Server
The State of California Employment Development Department had a need to enhance or migrate a legacy application due to changes in Federal Government rules and regulations.
The State faced several challenges in meeting the business requirements:
- There was no documentation available for the current systems so neither enhancement nor migration were easy options.
- The Employment Development Department lacked the necessary resources to support Legacy Systems because personnel with the necessary skill set were retiring, and replacements were not easily available.
Document one legacy application i.e. discover and extract the business rules and database schema embedded in the software and produce full documentation of the application.
Document another application and then extract the application meta-data for import to a modeling tool that would allow the target system code to be generated in C#.Net or Java.
Generate Java code for one sub-system of the application and .Net code for the second sub-system.
CA’s AllFusion Gen Modeling tool was chosen as the preferred modeling tool.
Once the migration was completed:
- Deploy the smaller sub-system as-is after migration in a test environment.
- Enhance the second sub-system migration to meet the new government requirements before deploying that system.
A 600,000 line system was chosen to be documented. This system was documented by EvolveWare’s Legacy Modernizer Documentation Tool.
A COBOL System comprising of two sub-systems was selected for documentation and then migration. This system comprised 2 subsystems:
- A 60,000 line COBOL/CICS/VSAM system.
- A 265,000 line COBOL/CICS/DB2 system.
The 60,000 line sub-system was documented and transformed into an AllFusion Gen model by EvolveWare’s Legacy Modernizer tool.
The documentation was 100% automated, once all the code had been transformed into AllFusion Gen models, the new application was generated automatically by AllFusion Gen. This code was then deployed in a test environment.
The second sub-system was documented and transformed into an AllFusion Gen model by EvolveWare’s Legacy Modernizer tool. The documentation was 100% automated.
The AllFusion Gen model was manually enhanced to cover code that had not been converted, and the model was updated to include new functionality.
AllFusion Gen automatically generated C#Net/SQL Server code which was then deployed in a test environment.
Project Deliverables & Time Lines
- The first application was a 600,000 line COBOL system which required documentation and the extraction of Business Rules. This was a 100% automated process which took 5 weeks.
- The second application was a COBOL System comprising of two sub-systems.
- One sub-system was a 60,000 line COBOL/CICS/VSAM system This sub-system was documented and transformed into AllFusion Gen model in 3 weeks including QA and verification. The documentation was 100% automated, and the transformation rate was 78% automated. An additional 5 weeks were taken to complete the transformation manually. Once all the code had been completed in the AllFusion Gen models, Java/DB2 code was generated automatically by AllFusion Gen.
- The second sub-system was a 265,000 line COBOL/CICS/DB2 system. This sub-system was documented and transformed into AllFusion Gen model in 8 weeks including QA and verification. The documentation was 100% automated, and the transformation rate was 87% automated. An additional 25 weeks were taken to complete the transformation and enhance the application manually. Once all the code had been completed in the AllFusion Gen models, C#/.Net/SQL Server code was generated
Using the Legacy Modernizer product, the State fo California documented two major applications and took one of those applications from a difficult to support environment to modern solutions.
The complete project was completed in 8 months when the State had estimated it would take up to 2 years if they had attempted the project manually.
EvolveWare, Inc. has been awarded 5 U.S. Patents and 1 Australian Patent for the technology that is incorporated into Legacy Modernizer and its successor, Intellisys™. The U.S. Patent numbers are 7,769,704, 7,774,290, 7,917,457, 8,051,410 and 8,412,653 respectively. The Australian Patent number is 2007348312. No part of this document may be copied, circulated or reprinted in any form without the prior written permission of EvolveWare, Inc. For questions and additional information please e-mail [email protected] or call +1.408.748.8301