PLATFORM CAPABILITIES USED
Generated target system with an 82% automation rate with no run-time dependencies in a record time of 8 months.
Documentation and Optimization & Migration
Home > Resources > Customer Stories > Arlington County
Arlington County migrates two mission critical systems to Windows from roughly 500K lines of legacy code to mitigate the rising costs of maintenance and lack of replacement support staff
Intellisys’ capabilities and automation allowed the county to retire its mainframe at least a year earlier than anticipated, generating an ROI of over 30%.
Arlington County is an urban county close to Washington D.C. The County has two complex service costing and invoicing systems, Client and Service Event System (CASE) and Purchase of Service System (POS) that were incurring increasing maintenance costs and weren’t scalable or easily extended or enhanced. These systems were written over 20 years ago in COBOL, CA-IDEAL and DATACOM and were installed on an IBM mainframe. The County had invested a considerable amount of time and resources in accumulating business drivers in the systems, and hence was not in a position to simply throw away this investment and start from scratch. At the same time, migrating to modern platforms was not without risk.
- Rising maintenance costs
- Inability to extend or enhance applications easily in response to changes in legislative requirements.
- Scarce supply of replacement support personnel
- Manual migration methods too time-consuming
- Intellisys platform documentation and optimization & migration capabilities
- Extracted embedded information from the source of roughly 500K lines of code distributed across COBOL, CA-IDEAL, and DATACOM
- Allowed the information to be optimized and generated modern, web-based code that was scalable and maintainable
- Automated the extraction of the data model and logic at 100%
- Automated the generation of the target system at 82% on Microsoft’s .NET platform in C#/ASP .NET/SQL Server/SSRS in 8 months
- No performance degradations in newly generated systems and extensive estimated operational cost savings
Join Arlington County in using Intellisys